Sunday, October 2, 2011

We Hit the SWAT Team, and It's Hugh Laurie's Fault

Yesterday was a beautiful disaster. It was one of those days where nothing goes as planned and you end up crashing into an angry Asian couple's car amongst the busy streets in San Francisco. It was one of those days, and it all began with Hugh Laurie...

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is a huge music festival that goes on in the Bay Area every year. I drove up to San Francisco with my friends, and that was our first destination for the day. I was excited out of my pants because Hugh Laurie was performing, and I wanted to ask him to diagnose me and/or go for some fish and chips. To our dismay, all the parking spots in the area were taken up by hipsters and hippies (and hippie hipsters?), which meant we had to leave before we even officially arrived. I was thoroughly disappointed. I had even practiced my British accent for an hour on the drive there.

Luckily, we had yet another place we wanted stop by: The Alternative Press Expo. Kate Beaton, the founder of Hark! A Vagrant, was going to be there. My new plan was to ask her to diagnose me and go out for fish and chips to make up for my former loss. We were making our way over to the Concourse Exhibition Center when we hit yet another roadblock. As we drove along, my friend, Jared, ended up rear-ending the car in front of us. The driver, a middle-aged Cantonese man, immediately jumped out of the car (that we just damaged) with a camera in hand and began to take pictures of the dent and our license plate. His wife, following his example, also got out of the car to take pictures of us, and it was a frightening experience for me. The SWAT team had closed in on us, but instead of it being the regular SWAT team, it was a SWAT team for vehicular accidents. It was terrifying, but we continued onward with our journey.

Finally, we made it to the expo. Everything was beautiful, and I wanted to sob, partially because I was surrounded by amazing artists, and partially because I knew I would never be on par with them. My day already improved upon stepping into the exhibition center due to the fact that I got a cool badge.


I know. You don't have to tell me how cool it is.

Yet we had not seen the end of the series of unfortunate events. About twenty minutes after we arrived, we discovered that Kate Beaton had left a few hours ago. Wallowing in even more disappointment, we wandered around the expo some more. The disappointment didn't last long because I was too enthralled by all the great art and fun people. Overall, I'm still happy with the way things turned out. I might not have gotten to harass Hugh Laurie or Kate Beaton, but I'll just have to leave that to another day.

Awesome Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment